Monday, 1 July 2013
These Truths I Hold: part 3
These truths I hold to be self-evident, in no particular order: Part 3:
50. Atheism rocks.
51. Believing in something just because it "feels" good or right or comfortable is not enough of a reason to believe.
52. Believing in something just because others believe in it is not enough of a reason to believe.
53. Evidence, evidence, evidence.
54. Which god?
55. Which collection of literature?
56. Rewriting history does not change what actually happened.
57. Science saves lives.
58. Funny how I didn't spot the unicorn in Isaiah when I was a fundy. I was willing to deal with a talking snake and a talking donkey. I don't know what I would have done with a unicorn.
59. Evolution is not something to believe in. It is something that you accept or reject totally or in part. There is a common misuse of the word "theory" as in "only a theory" when the word "theorem" might be better suited.
60. Homosexuality does occur in nature. Ask any farmer who has had experience with a bull that turned out to be homosexual.
61. Strawberry plants, blue-green lizards in Arizona.
62. Adults can be heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual. Sexuality is fluid, not static.
63. Insisting that "we are born that way" cheapens the fight for civil rights for all civilians. Some folks may have been "born that way" but we do not really know yet what makes people straight or not straight. It's a science thang, not a morality/sinner thang.
64. Adults can identify as male, female, androgenous. It's called gender identification and it too is not a morality/sinner thang.
65. Some babies are born with an intersexed state-- which means they may have the genitalia of both sexes present at birth.
66. Babies who have A.I.S. [Androgen Insufficiency Syndrome] are genetically male. Because their bodies do not respond to androgen, they are by necessity raised as female. 100% of A.I.S. female adults are either bisexual or lesbian.
67. Transfolks who take hormones in the process of correcting their gender to correlate with their perceived gender will sometimes have an un-looked for change in sexual orientation. The basis for wanting what is referred to as a "sex change" in the vernacular is NOT sexual orientation, as was commonly supposed in the sixties and is still supposed in some circles now. A genetically male transfolk who is attracted to women may find that she is attracted to men, or both women and men after she begins hormone treatments.
68. The majority of cross-dressers [who are not interested in "correcting their gender"] are heterosexual males.
69. I am not interested in being "tolerated," "toleration", or "tolerance." If you cannot celebrate me for who I am and I cannot celebrate you for who you are, then it might be wiser for each of us to not engage each other. Celebrate Diversity.
sapphoq itching for a coffee says: Whether or not the United States was started as a Christian nation, we are now multi-cultural. As a nation of many peoples and cultures and backgrounds, we are not all fundamentalist Christians. Religion ought not dictate politics. The public arena should remain secular-- including city, state, county, and national government; public schools [if you want your kids to pray in school then please send them to a religious school of your choosing...]; federal lands; courtrooms; any place that accepts public funding should be bound by secular public laws. The laws that govern us all should not enslave us. Not all of us are believers. Even among believers there are differences. Please get out of my vagina. Don't dictate to me who I love or what I do and I will have the courtesy and respect to allow you to love who you love and do what you do.