Wednesday 4 July 2007

Declaration of Independence: Its Purpose


Here I go again..I know that sometimes you all wish I would just crawl under a rock somewhere, and stop with all this History. Well I admire all of History and feel there is a great deal that we have yet to learn and understand from our founding fathers that help bring this great Nation. So with that in mind and being one of my favorite hoilday's (next to Halloween) I would like to share with you all something.
---After its adoption, and throughout the last quarter of the eighteenth century, the Declaration of Independence was viewed primarily as a pronouncement of separation from Great Britain and not as the sacred political document it is today.
---One of the points made over and over again was that the purpose of the Declaration of Independence was to justify/explain the separation of the colonies from England to other European countries and elicit support from them.
There are things actually wrote as to the real purpose of the the Declaration of Independence and frankly I really don't understand how something we were taught and brought up on about History on this day (well actually started on July 2nd) can be talked about as: It was never intended to be a document as it is thought to be today/ I can remember reading about this day in History and everytime I read it or watch a reinactment of this, I still get goose bumbs. To image history unfolding as it did, and to what it is today. When the part comes up every time, be it in a book, a movie and or in History..These are the most powerful words to have been spoken for this time and I love it.
We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independant, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness. Happy Independence Day!! Do you have your Purpose? ~Mare

1 comment:

sapphoq said...

I love my country and I am proud to be an American.

The thing is, it is unpopular to acknowledge that not all international cultures are equal in a moral sense. Thus stoning still exists in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and recently Egypt passed a law against female genital mutilation.

As a kid, my dad took me to all the historical places within reach of our New Jersey home. I got to see all the places in the woods that Washington slept in within the tri-state area and the cool stuff in Philly too.
One year on vacation, we spent some time in D.C., including at the vets cemetery, and I got a good patriotic education from him.

Excellent post.

spike